I believe every mother that desires to breastfeed her child should have access to evidence based information and be given the support that she needs to achieve her goals. I provide knowledgeable, professional, non-judgemental lactation information and support. Each mother is an expert on her family. I am here to provide expert guidance and encouragement.
I began my journey supporting, educating and helping mothers breastfeed in 1992 as a La Leche League Leader. After raising two breastfed children, I became an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in 2010 and founded Mothering Traditions in Gwinnett County, GA. I continue to volunteer with La Leche League International. To learn more about La Leche League’s mother-to-mother support groups in Georgia, see www.lllofga.org.
I am proud to be one of the first licensed IBCLCs in the state of Georgia. I am a member of the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA), a member of the Southeast Lactation Consultant Association (SELCA), and the United States Lactation Consultant Association (USLCA). I continue to keep up with current research findings and protocols by attending multiple workshops and conferences each year.
An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a health care professional who specializes in the clinical management of breastfeeding. IBCLCs are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, Inc. under the direction of the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies.
How can an IBCLC help you?
IBCLCs Help Mothers With:
• Prenatal breastfeeding assessment and
• Positioning and latch of an infant
• Prevention and management of
maternal concerns such as breast
pain and engorgement
• Establishing and increasing milk production
• Premature babies
• Suck difficulties that interfere with
• Confidence to breastfeed for as long
as mother and baby want
• Breastfeeding-supportive measures when
mother and baby are separated due to work,
medical, or educational issues
International Board Certified Lactation Consultants are:
• Recognized the world over as possessing the only standardized, board certified lactation credential available
• Knowledgeable about up-to-date evidence-based practices in lactation as demonstrated through a rigorous exam process
• Experienced in a wide variety of complex breastfeeding situations
• Competent to assist mothers with establishing and sustaining breastfeeding, even in the midst of difficulties and high-risk situations that can arise
• Sensitive to the needs of both mothers and children as they work to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals
• Ethical in their practice, abiding by Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics and working within a defi ned Scope of Practice